How can I bring my parents on Canada PR Visa in 2023?

How can I bring my parents on Canada PR Visa in 2023?

Canada's Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship program is an excellent pathway for all the Canadian citizens and permanent residents to reunite with their parents and grandparents. Under PGP (Parents and Grandparents Program), you can bring your parents or grandparents to Canada by sponsoring them for permanent residency.

However, to sponsor your parents and grandparents to come to Canada, you must:

  • Age at least 18 years or above
  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or person registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

PGP- Application Process

For sponsoring them, you have to qualify as an eligible sponsor and submit an "interest to sponsor" form. If you found to be eligible, the IRCC will send you an invitation to submit a complete application so that you can sponsor your parents or grandparents to become Canada's permanent residents.

To qualify as a sponsor, you must ensure that:

  • You can financially support your parents and their dependants (if any)
  • Your parents don’t need any social assistance from the government

Upon receiving your invitation to apply, you must pay the required fees along with a completed sponsorship application within 60 calendar days, i.e. $1,050.

If you’re invited to apply, you must submit 2 applications:

  • You have to apply to become a sponsor
  • Your parents or grandparents have to apply for permanent residence of Canada

Both the sponsorship and PR applications must be sent to the IRCC together at the same time within 60 days from the date you receive your invitation.

Eligibility Criteria

You can sponsor your parents, only if:

  • You meet minimum age criteria, i.e. 18 years or above
  • You must be living in Canada
  • You must be a citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • You must demonstrate that you have enough income to support your parents once you become a sponsor
  • You commit and provide an undertaking that you can provide financial support to your sponsored parents for 20 years from the day they become permanent residents of Canada
  • Commit and provide an undertaking that you'll repay any provincial social assistance your parents get in Canada
  • You and your parents agree to specific responsibilities during the undertaking period, called as a sponsorship agreement, which means that you will fulfill the basic needs of your sponsored parents and they will also make every effort to financially support themselves and their dependents (if any)
  • You complete and sign a form which includes an undertaking and a sponsorship agreement

Income required to sponsor your parents and grandparents

If the IRCC invites you to apply, you must provide an evidence that you meet minimum income requirement for each one you are sponsoring.

As a proof of income, you must submit a Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for each 3 taxation years immediately before the date you apply.

For this, you can either permit IRCC to get the tax information directly from CRA or send paper copies of your NOA.

Please note, total number of people for whom you'll be financially responsible for includes the following:

  • Interested sponsor
  • You spouse or common-law partner
  • Your dependent children
  • Your spouse’s or partner’s dependent children
  • Any other person you may have sponsored earlier, for whom you are still responsible financially
  • Your parents and grandparents you wish to sponsor along with their dependents (if any) like, spouse or partner & dependent children
  • Dependent children (if any) who are not coming with your parents or grandparents to Canada
  • Your parent or grandparent’s spouse or common-law partner (even if not coming to Canada)
  • Your parent or grandparents’ separated spouse

Are you ready to kick-start the process and reunite with your loved ones? Take a family sponsorship assessment online and discover the best options to bring your family members to Canada.