How to Convert a Canada Visitor Visa to a Work Permit?
Canada is one of the most popular destinations for foreign workers looking for better employment opportunities. About half a million foreign workers obtain a Canada work permit every year. Recently, Canada announced the latest instructions issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). As per the announcement, certain TRV holders with a Canada visitor visa can now apply for a work permit without leaving Canada. If you are already in Canada and wish to apply for Canada work permit, you must meet the eligibility requirements. You can qualify to apply for Work Permit from inside Canada, if:
- you or your spouse, partner or parent has a temporary resident permit with six months of the validity period
- youre a Ukraine citizen or an accompanying family member of any Ukrainian national
- you have a Canada work permit or valid study
- youre waiting for a final decision on your Canadian immigration PR application for in-Canada spousal visa or temporary resident permit
- you are planning to or have already claimed refugee protection
- you are recognized by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada as a protected person or Convention refugee
- you are allowed to work anywhere in Canada without a work permit but need one to work in another job
- you are an investor, a trader, a professional or an intra-company transferee under the CUSMA (CanadaUnited StatesMexico Agreement)
Read further to understand Canada work permitand visitor visa better.
What is Canada Work Visa?
A Canada work permit is a legal document that permits a foreign worker to work in Canada. There are typically two types of Canada work permits:
- Employer-specific work permit
This allows you to work in Canada under the following conditions, like:
- A specific employer name you can work for
- Complete duration for which you can work
- The exact location where you can work
Before submitting your application, an employer hiring you should complete specific steps and hand over a copy of a Labor Market Impact Assessment or an employment offer number so that you can add it to your application. To qualify for an employer-specific work permit, you must:
- Be in Canada and hold a valid TRV as a visitor, which includes status extensions as per subsection 183(5) of the IRPR, which is maintained while work permit application submission.
- Have submitted an employer-specific work visa application through the Application to Change Conditions, Remain in Canada as a Worker or Extend my Stay
- Be already living in Canada since the application submission.
- Have submitted the work permit application on or before 28th February 2023
- Open work permit
This allows you to work for any Canadian employer, except those:
- listed as ineligible on the employers list and have failed to adhere to the conditions
- who are regularly involved in offering striptease, escort services, erotic massages or erotic dance
What is a Canada Visitor Visa?
A Canadian visitor visa, also known as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), is an official document issued to a foreign national who is allowed to travel to and enter Canada. Unless you are a resident of any visa-exempt nation, you must apply for and obtain a visitor visa to enter Canada. A Visitor Visa is placed in your passport to show that you have met all the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker). With a Canadian Visitor Visa, you can enter Canada:
- to visit Canada on vacation/holiday
- to visit friends or family in Canada
- on a business trip
- as a student
- As a temporary worker, or
- for transiting through a Canadian airport on the way to your final destination
What are the types of Canadian visitor visas?
- Single Entry Canada Visitor Visa- A single entry visa allows foreign nationals to enter Canada for one-time only. (issued only under unique circumstances.)
- Multiple Entry Canada Visitor Visa- A multiple entry visa allows holders to enter and leave Canada as often as they want as long as the visa is valid. (applicants are automatically considered for multiple entry visas)
What are the key differences between a Canada work permit and visa?
A work permit authorizes foreign workers to work in Canada, while a visa is a travel document that sticks to your passport to allow entry into Canada. A visa or TRV (temporary resident visa) is a physical sticker placed in a passport and acts as a travel document, allowing you to enter Canada or transit via a Canadian airport. If you leave the country, you can't return without an eTA or a valid visa, even if you are a valid Canada work permit holder.
What is the Stepwise process to apply for Canada Work Permit?
If you are already staying in Canada on a visitor visa, you can apply for a work permit in four easy steps:
- Step 1: Gather all the required documents
To apply for Canada work permit online, you must have scanned copies of all the required documents
- Step 2: Prepare for questionnaire
Before uploading the forms, you must answer a few questions, the IRCC uses those answers for creating a personalized document checklist
- Step 3: Pay the fees
In most of the cases, the fees includes processing fees for you and anyone you are including on your work permit application For open work permits- If applying for an open work permit, pay the following applicable fees:
- work permit fee - $155
- open work permit holder fee - $100
- Step 4: Create an online account or sign in
You must create an account to apply for Canada work permit online for paying your fees, submitting your application and checking your application status. How Visas Avenue can assist you with Canadian immigration process? At Visas Avenue, we help our clients with their visa-related issues, queries and processes. We have a team of well-qualified consultants who provide immigration-related information and updates for key visa categories, including Canada work visa, Express Entry program, Study permit, spousal visa, and more. We offer a comprehensive range of visa and immigration advisory services, including:
- Free profile evaluation: Our team of visa consultants review each and every profile carefully and help aspiring immigrants find a suitable Canadian immigration option.
- Assistance with visa selection: We help our clients choose the right Canadian immigration visa program, create an online profile and submit their Expression of Interest (EOI).
- Assistance in gathering documents: We assist our understand the requirements and help them gather the required documents.
- Assistance with International Admissions: We assist prospective students in applying for admission to top Canadian colleges and apply for Canada student visa.
- Language Coaching: We offer online/classroom IELTS training to help prospective students and immigrants prepare for the English language test.
- Visa Application Filing: We assist our clients in filing visa applications without much hassle.
- Application Follow-up: We follow up with IRCC on behalf of our clients for timely approvals.
For more information or to apply for Canada work visa in 2022, contact our team of visa and immigration advisors at Visas Avenue on Toll-Free No. 78-18-000-777 or drop an email at email@example.com.